For someone who may get sick easily or have a compromised immune system, Eastern Medicine looks on this as a deficiency of possibly blood, the body’s innate energy ‘qi’, and Taiyin organs. These comprise the Spleen and Lung systems. By using Holistic Medicine, we can safely and effectively nourish the Taiyin , allowing the body to become stronger, regulating the immune system, enhancing the body’s natural healing to provide proper defense against many ailments and aid healthy living, including colds and flu. Acupuncture alone helps regulate the immune system whether deficient or overactive. There are specific longevity points which are utilized to help balance the body and promote health. On the Stomach meridian is a specific acupoint which is known to promote longevity and even if pressure applied by hand daily can be extremely beneficial. The Stomach meridian is a Luo-connecting channel to the Spleen which signifies the importance of the immune system response of this point, production of blood and its ability to enhance life span. Comparatively, the Taiyang channel is often used if pathogen has already entered the body and is under attack. This is comprised of both the Small Intestine and Bladder channels. As an Eastern Medicine Physician, these are the organs of interest to maintain balance for the body to have optimal immune support.
Immune Plus is a practitioner prescribed herbal formula that has a classic base formula which has been around for many centuries. This has been used very safely and effectively to help keep the body healthy by using herbals that consist of natural anti-bacterial and ant-virals, thereby promoting a stronger wei qi which in simpler terms, keeps the body stronger and less susceptible to pathogens. Typically, I have prescribed this for prevention of colds and flu during travel, eg. airplane, etc..
The added benefit with Immune Plus is that many amazing antioxidants have been added to ensure optimal immune support, also supplying good energy for the Spleen and Lungs, which remember are the immune system’s main organs against pathogens. The antioxidants consist of herbals which research has shown to support an optimal immune system. The six main herbal components added to this classic immune support formula consist of Astragulus, Ganoderma Reishii, Saposhnikovia Root, Schisandrae Fruit, White Atractylodis Rhizome, and lastly, Cordyceps.
- Astragulus is known pharmacologically, to be an immunostimulant, cardiotonic, anti-inflammatory, hepatoprotective-detox, and to nourish the lungs.
- Ganoderma Reishii is known pharmacologically, to be an immunostimulant, expectorant, cardiotonic, anti-neoplastic, anti-bacterial, anti-allergic, anti-histamine, and has the ability to nourish the heart, lungs, and liver.
- White Atractylodis Rhizome is known pharmacologically to be both anti-neoplastic and anti-bacterial.
- Saposhnikovia Root in Eastern Medicine has the ability to dispel exterior wind which causes colds and flu. Pharmacologically, it is an anti-allergic, immunostimulant, anti-bacterial, anti-histamine, anti-inflammatoy, and cardiotonic.
- Schisandrae Fruit is known pharmacologically to be an anti-bacterial, anti-oxidant, and hepatoprotective. It has the ability to nourish the lungs, heart, and kidneys
- Lastly, Cordyceps nourishes the lungs, dissolves phlegm, and pharmacologically known to be anti-aging, immunostimulant, and anti-neoplastic.
The beauty of Eastern medicine is the combination of certain herbals that combine synergistically to complement the body’s natural balance.